5 TIPS FOR MOVING ABROAD WITH CHILDREN
If you plan to relocate abroad and you have kids, you need to discuss this with them long before you take the final decision. Regardless of the circumstances, children of all ages will need preparation. You need to listen to their point as they might have the same fears and expectation as you do. Here are some basic tips to help you smoothly go through this tough period:
- Prepare your kids for the move. Give them enough time to understand what you are saying and to adapt to the new situation. It will take them a while to get over it, the same as with the adults. Together with your kids, learn about the new place, read books, watch videos or look on the internet to find out more about your new country. Find out information and photos of their new school.
- Plan the details around moving abroad along with them. Let them participate in decision-making, listen to their opinion, ideas, advice and recommendations. You can even ask them to pack their stuff, such as crayons and toys and put labels on the packs.
- Organize a farewell party for the kids. Experts think this is very important for children as it’s a gateway between the new life and the old life. Your children need to plan their own goodbyes and to feel like this is a big adventure for them. Some people believe that you can’t really have a good start if you don’t say good-bye properly too.
- Follow the routine. Children might get really scared if they lose control of their daily routine because regime makes them feel secure. So, if your kid is taking dance classes or some sports, you need to find out where and when to continue doing the same in your new country.
- Homesickness. Once you arrive in the new country, keep in regular touch with your family members at home. Your children will be very happy to receive postcards, parcels or other items from their auntie or grandma. Keep photos, memories of family events and speak about home culture regularly. Allow your children time for sorrow and homesickness but always point them the good sides of moving.
Moving abroad can be one the most exciting time for your whole family. Children who move abroad often feel like they don’t belong to any particular culture but are a mixture of two or more cultures.
The good thing is that moving can really be beneficial for them. Numerous studies show that such kids have excellent social skills and are more adaptable and confident compared to their peers.
Visa First is a leading international immigration consulting company. We can help you to apply for your visa fast and hassle-free today.
If you found this information useful, please share 🙂