Australia Standard Business Sponsorship
If your second working holiday visa is running out, but you feel like spending some more time in Australia you might want to talk with your current employer. One way to remain Down Under is to have your employer sponsor you, thus helping you to stay in Australia for up to 4 years. Employer sponsored workers must remain with the same employer. You can not change employers, unless your potential employer is willing to become your sponsor as well.
- Eileen: Welcome to the Visa First live chat! How can I help you today?
- Jenn: Hi Eileen. I am an Irish backpacker on my second year WHV. I have just finished my 6 month stint working for a company. Is it possible to work more than 6 months with this company under my visa if the employer agrees to it? Just an extra 3 months say?
- Eileen: No Jenn, unfortunately it is a requirement of your Visa that you cannot work for one employer for more than 6 months. Your only option if you wish to stay with the employer for longer is to perhaps consider sponsorship.
- Jenn: That what i thought but a friend mentioned that if the employer agreed to the extension then it was OK. Yes I am considering sponsorship but it is hard to get job on the that the Australian Gov considered skilled!
- Eileen: What are you working at here in Australia?
- Jenn: I managed to get a job for a catering company ISS on one of BHP Mine sites in WA. I was only doing dining room, bar, cleaning of rooms but i don’t think they consider that as a skilled job, regardless if the Company can’t get the staff! I just finished my 6 months with them 2 weeks ago.
- Eileen: The skill of the job isn’t really the problem for sponsorship, if the employer is willing to sponsor you then you should be okay. Have the company offered you sponsorship?
- Jenn: I didn’t actually ask them if they would sponsor me as i thought it wasn’t a skilled job! They probably would offer me sponsorship as I was there a long time….10 months to be precise…the original company was taken over by a new employer so that was lucky for me. How much would it cost the company/me to get sponsored?
- Eileen: The cost of sponsorship is $3000. I can take your details and get one of my colleagues who specialize in sponsorship Visa to contact you.
- Eileen: Is your contact number 042******* and your email ********@gmail.com?
- Jenn: Yes, that would be great Eileen, thanks. Yes those details are correct. Email is probably best for me at the moment. Thanks.
- Eileen: Okay Jenn no problem I will get them to email you some information later today.
- Jenn: Oh, brill. Thank you so much Eileen. I really appreciate it. I have been on the Oz immigration website and talking to friends so I am getting different info all the time. It is great to get to talk/email someone who knows all the info. Thanks again and have a good day!
As you realize, your options are somewhat limited by choosing employer sponsorship as a way to remain. General skilled migration is your other option. Unfortuantely very few working holiday makers are able to meet the criteria and have a nominated occupation found on the Skilled Occupation List.