Can I work more than 6 months?
“Can i work more than 6 months for one employer while on Working Holiday Visa in Australia?”
We receive this question a lot. There are many situations when you need to stay for more than 6 months with your employer. Maybe even your employer want you for more. Whatever the reason is – you can not work for the same employer for more than 6 months. In the best case scenario you could request extension of your employment from the Australian Government, anyhow, these extensions are granted under very specific exceptional circumstances. Even then you’ll be allowed to continue your work for less than month! The only workaround is if your employer’s company have branch in another city and you relocate in it.
We’ll show you one real-life example on the subject: A client of ours asked us a question regarding his current employment. He is obviously happy with his current employer, thus he would like to work for him a bit more. Here is how the conversation went.
- Mike: Welcome to the Visa First live chat! How can I help you today?
- VisaFirst client: Hey – I have been working for almost 6 months in a company and because of the visa status I have to stop after the 6 month period. My boss has offered me another position within the company. Can I take that for another 6 months or must I move on completely?
- Mike: You can work for that company only if you change offices. For example if you are working in Sydney and the company offers you a work in Perth.
- VisaFirst client: What if its….a bar..and they offered me position of manager? I can’t take it…and no he’s not willing to sponsor me 🙁
- Mike: The working holiday program is designed for young people to travel across Australia. And that is why there is condition for 6 months employment. In order to stay in the same city you will need to change the employer.
- VisaFirst client: Grand. One more question – If I started on the 8th March, when are my 6 months finished, in August or September?
- Mike: September.
- VisaFirst client: Thanks a mill.
- Mike: You are welcome!
- VisaFirst client: Bye now…this is weird…but cool.
- Mike: Thank you for chatting with us today. If you are happy with our service please tell your friends. If not please let us know so that we can provide a better service!
So, you can see the person can not continue to work for the same employer as long as he is in the same city. He can work in another branch of the company, but it has to be located in another area. Working Holiday Makers are entitled to short term occupation only. They are no able to build career and remain in Australia with a Working Holiday Visa.
According to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship
You can do any kind of work in Australia and may work with the same employer for up to six months.The six month work limitation applies to full-time, part-time, casual and shift work.
Updated: December 2012