Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted on Jan 20, 2017 in Ireland, USA, Working Abroad |

United States Immigration System

United States are one of the most desired destinations for immigrants in the world. It is famous for giving opportunity to everyone hungry for success and work. Everyone knows the moto “the land of endless opportunities”. For sure there is a reason for that and it stays for decades. It is proven that it is the most productive economy. Experts say that China will catch up in some years. In order to keep the country and its economic strong the government has designed a very complex immigration system. There are several categories which are defining the paths and frames for accepting a person as an immigrant. The first one is – Family-based immigration. This category allows US citizens to bring relatives to the United States. The applications are accepted if the person is immediate relative to a citizen or through family preference system. Immigrants should comply with some eligibility criteria and petitioners as well. The relatives must be spouses of US citizen, unmarried minor children under 21 or parents of US citizens 21+ years of age. The second category is – Employment based immigration. The US allows different professionals with valuable skills to enter the country on a temporary or permanent visa. The temporary employment based visa allows the applicant to work for certain time in USA. On temporary visa the visa holder has limited chances to change his employer having in mind that the application is submitted by the hiring company. There are many visas in this category for high skilled employees and less skilled. The permanent category is limited to 140 000 per year and includes relatives of applicants. The third category is: Per-Country Ceiling. This category sets limit to the number of immigrants from each country per year. This rule is created to prevent any group from dominating others in USA. Refugees and Asylees category. This category is created to protect certain vulnerable people. In this category are people who cannot go back to their countries due to live threatening reasons. Refugees are admitted to US based on inability to return to their country due to race, membership in particular...

Read More

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 in Canada, Living Abroad, USA |

Canadian vs U.S. Immigration Policies

Canada and the United States have very different immigration policies. One of the biggest difference between the migration systems of both countries is that Canadian immigration is based on employment and qualification while the U.S immigration is based primarily on family ties. Canadian migration policy is an example of employment-based system with a lot of programs enabling the economically-depressed regions to attract more skilled workers from abroad. Approximately 2/3 of all immigrants relocating to Canada are coming via different employment-based programs, while in the USA only 15% of all permanents residents are admitted on the basis of employment. 2/3 of all immigrants in the United States are accepted because they have a close relation to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Provincial Nominee Program In Canada The Provincial Nominee Program in Canada contributes for increasing the share of new permanent residents in less populated provinces. Generally, the PNP immigrants do well in the labor market. In comparison to that, there are no similar state programs in the United States. The U.S. immigration policy remains entirely in the hands of the federal government, compared to the de-centralized migration programs in Canada. Some of the most recent changes in the Canada immigration policy: – Change in the point system used for skilled visa. The focus on the age, Enlish or French language skills and having a job offer was increased while the emphisis on the formal education was decreased. – A separate program was created for skilled trade workers – Federal Skilled Trades Program. – Canadian Experience Class (CEC) – allowing temporary workers and international student switch easily to permanent residence. – Start of the Express Entry system in January 2015 to accept economic immigrants. While the US government has made almost no changes to their immigration policy since 1990s. The only major change have concerned the unauthorised immigrants. U.S. Green Card Lottery vs Canadian Express Entry There is no such program like the U.S. Diversity Lottery program in Canada. However, selected applicants in the Green card lottery are allocated on a random basis. Canada has another sort of pool called...

Read More

Posted on May 11, 2015 in Migration News, USA |

US Work and Tourist Visas – A Short Guide

For those of you hoping to move to the US permanently, the Green Card and permanent residency are definitely the best approach. But keep in mind there are numerous alternative visa options for you to go and settle there. Travel Visa If you are Irish or UK passport holder a citizen of one of the visa exempt countries, you may travel to the United States for short periods for up to 90 days for business or tourism using the Visa Waiver program. Employment visas Employment based visas are usually issued for a certain job, for a specified period of time and with a particular US-based employer. Treaty Trader and Treaty Investor visas are suitable for nationals whose countries participate in treaties of commerce and navigation with the USA. For example if you are an Irish interested in investing in the US, you set up a company in the US and meet certain requirements, you can get an E visa type under such treaty. Performers P visa P visas are available for performers coming to the US as part of a group or individually to perform theatre, music etc. Performers usually need an authorised agent to initiate the process for them. O-1 visa This visa is usually designated for athletes, people of science and business considered as outstanding in their profession. But criteria are really high and you need a lot of evidences to support such an application. J-1 and H-1 visas J-1 visa is aimed for student or recent graduates and it part of the Exchange Visitor’s programs. The H-1 visa is a six-year visa, subject to quota and requested by an US employer for a qualifying applicant. Because of the quota, H-1 visa is hard to obtain. H-2 visas There are two types of this temporary work visa types: H-2A visa is for temporary agricultural and H-2B is for temporary non-agricultural jobs. H-2B visa is perfect for people, who want to enter the US on a one-time occurrence or just for a seasonal work. You have to have a job offer from a US employer. Basic advice: Do...

Read More

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 in Migration News, USA |

11 New Countries Eligible for US H-2A and H-2B visas

The US government will add 11 new countries to the list of eligible nationalities for H-2A and H-2B visas this year. The countries to be included to the scheme are: Barbados, Belize, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Haiti, Jamaica, Madagascar, Portugal, Sweden. This change was announced on 18th January, allowing US companies to hire foreign workers from the eligible countries for temporary jobs. The full list of eligible countries: Argentina Hungary Peru Australia Iceland Philippines Austria Ireland Poland Barbados Israel Romania Belize Italy Samoa Brazil Jamaica Serbia Bulgaria Japan Slovakia Canada Kiribati Slovenia Chile Latvia Solomon Islands Costa Rica Lithuania South Africa Croatia Macedonia South Korea Dominican Republic Mexico Spain Ecuador Moldova Switzerland El Salvador Montenegro Thailand Estonia Nauru Tonga Ethiopia Netherlands Turkey Fiji Nicaragua Tuvalu Grenada New Zealand Ukraine Guatemala Norway United Kingdom Haiti Panama Uruguay Honduras Papua New Guinea Vanuatu   The H-2A visa covers the agricultural type of works, while the H-2B visa covers the non-agricultural sector and is usually used for a number of lower skilled vacancies. H-2A / H-2B visas are valid for an initial period of one year. Extensions may be granted to a maximum of three years in total. Employers can apply for both H-2A and H-2B visas to employ overseas applicants from an eligible country for temporary work only. Before that, they need to apply for a labour certification, showing that no US citizen has been suitable for the position. The new change means that this temporary work program is currently available to 63 countries. Visa First is a leading international immigration consulting company. We can help you to apply for your visa fast and hassle-free today. If you found this information useful, please share 🙂 Visa FirstMore...

Read More

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 in Migration News, USA |

New Visa Arrangement Between the U.S. and China on Tourist, Exchange and Student Visas

Both countries agreed to increase the validity of the short-term business and tourist visas from one to ten years, and of exchange and student visas from one to five years. So, now eligible Chinese applicants for B non-immigrant visa can get a multiple entry visa for up to ten years for business and tourism. And students and exchange visitors from China, meeting the requirements of F, M and J visa can travel to the USA with their accompanying family members for up to five years or for the length of their studies. The same applies to the U.S. residents who want to travel to China on business or tourism – they can get a multiple entry visa for up to 10 years. Qualified US students will get a permit to stay in China for up to five years till the completion of their education course. 1.8 million tourists from China travelled to the USA in 2013, spending 21% billion in the USA and it’s expected that 7.3 million Chinese tourists will visit the U.S. by 2021, bringing in 85$ billion per year and supporting 400,000 jobs. The US embassy in China process several thousands applications per day and this number increased by 22% for the last year. This new arrangement will bring benefits for the travellers from both countries as they used to spend more on applying for visa if visiting each other’s countries each year. This will also ease the trade and investments. Most of the investment activities by foreign nationals in the USA can be performed under the standard business or tourist (B1 or B2) visa. Ten years is actually the longest visa validity possible under the US legislation. The change on the visa validity, however, will not affect the eligibility criteria and the processing fee will remain the same. This new visa agreement is a sign of the US efforts to increase the bilateral opportunities for people-to-people engagement. Visa First is a leading international immigration consulting company. We can help you to apply for your visa fast and hassle-free today. If you found this information useful, please share 🙂...

Read More

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 in USA |

US Green Card Lottery (DV-2016) Will End Up in November. Hurry Up and Participate Now.

The new Edition of the US Green Card Lottery (DV-2016) began on the 1st of October and will be available until 3rd of November 2014. It will give an opportunity to 50,000 applicants to get a lawful permanent residence visa for the US. There are simple but strict eligibility criteria in order to qualify. The winners are selected through a random computer drawing. Am I eligible? There are two main requirements: You need to be born in one of the eligible countries. The following countries are excluding from the 2016 lottery: Bangladesh Brazil Canada China (mainland-born) Colombia Dominican Republic Ecuador El Salvador Haiti India Jamaica Mexico Nigeria Pakistan Peru Philippines South Korea United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and Vietnam.   You need to have completed at least twelve-year school education OR You need to prove at least two years work experience with the last five years.   There’s no minimum age to apply for the program, but if you are under 18 you could hardly meet the education or work experience requirements. There are still chances to get a Green card even if you were not born in an eligible country: You can still qualify if none of your parents was born in one of these excluded countries or If your spouse is from a country that could participate in the scheme.   The computer selection will start in May 2015. You can include your spouse and your dependent children under 21 years on your application. Once all of the 50,000 visas are issued, the program will be closed. Visa First is a leading international immigration consulting company. We can help you to apply for your visa fast and hassle-free today.  If you found this information useful, please share 🙂 Visa FirstMore...

Read More

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 in Celebrations and Holidays, USA |

Did You Know These Facts for July 4th?

1.The fist Independence Day celebration took place in Philadelphia in 1776. 2. The first official 4th of July party was held at the White House in 1801. 3. The population of the United States in 1776 was about 2.5 million, spread around 13 states. Now, the population is more than 318 million, spread throughout the 50 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. territories. 4. On July 4, 1776 the Declaration of Independence was adopted by the Continental Congress and that’s why America celebrates on this date. However, in a letter to his wife, President John Adam wrote that July 2 would be the day celebrated. After a draft by Thomas Jefferson and editing by John Adams and Benjamin Franklin, it was presented to the Congress 2 days later. 5. Strange or perhaps not but John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe all presidents of the USA died on the 4th July. 6. Almost 41 million Americans will spend the holiday at other people’s places and more than 74 million Americans will have a BBQ for the 4th. 7. At least $600 million will be spent on fireworks nationwide on the 4th. 8. The tune of the National Anthem was initially used by an English drinking song called To Anacreon in Heaven. L’chaim! 9. About 3,6 million of American flags are imported each year, most of them from China. 10. 4th of July is also officially celebrated in Denmark, England, Norway, Portugal and Sweden Visa FirstMore...

Read More
Page 1 of 3123