Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Most recent articles

$900 handout for Australian residents amended

Posted on Feb 15, 2009 in Migration News |

Australians will get the $900 cash bonus they had hoped for after all. Senator Nick Xenophon joined with the Coalition to scuttle Prime Minister Rudd‘s stimulus package. Subsequently, this Thursday, Australia became the first country to vote down a stimulus package, designed to head-off a recession during the economic crisis. The Prime Minister immediately reintroduced his emergency economic plan into Parliament and the package passed in a rare Friday sitting. The amended package will leave low-income workers and single income families $50 short. They will not get the promised $950, but $900. Those earning less than $80,000 will too receive $900, while people on incomes of between $80,000 and $90,000 will receive $600, and those earning between $90,000 and $100,000 will get a $250 bonus. The savings on this package will go to aid the jobless. Children from low and middle income families will too receive $900. Students and people outside of the workforce will receive $900 to spend on learning and training. The current plan is expected to boost the economic growth from 0.5 to 1.0 point in the next two years. If you still have questions about the stimulus payment or if you want to find about getting yours, I’d like to direct you to contact a team of tax speciallists on or talk with the staff live online...

Australians face discrimination

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 in Migration News |

As bizarre at is may sounds, Australians have hard time with discrimination in their motherland. Recently, there have been several cases where Australians are not allowed to enter a club or sleep over at hotels and hostels. Some hotel owners and publicans favor backpackers and international travelers over Australian citizens. According to a Alex Bushnell,  The Tin Bar (located in Brisbane) recently refused entry to him and two friends on a “Backpacker Night’’ because they did not have international passports. He had to  head back to the Down Under Bar & Grill on Edward Street. The Tin Bar’s manager, Brad, comments “Australians can come in any time they want” adding “On our backpackers’ and students’ nights we throw a bunch of parties and you need an international student card or passport to get in’’. Bunk backpackers’ hostel will welcome anyone to drink in its bar, however they have a strict “no backpack, no dorm room” policy, allowing only travelers to stay in for the night. Anti-Discrimination Commission Queensland commissioner Susan Booth clearly states that it is against the law publicans to refuse entry based on nationality. She admitting that this is not a precedent and it’s been going on for a while. According to Ms. Booth, Queensland’s Hotels Association will be reminded of the law if complaints...

Thieves blew up an ATM earlier this morning

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 in Migration News |

At 1:15AM, this morning, thieves blew up an ATM device and the better half of a ANZ bank at Latrobe ( Northern Tasmania). The police are searching for two people who are believed to be involved. One of them is believed to be injured from the explosion and in need of urgent medical attention. The plunderers got away with a considerable amount of cash. Police are reaching out to people who might have information about the robbery. Crime Stoppers are available on 1800 333 000 to take any related phonecalls. Now, prospective backpackers, don’t get any funny ideas about raiding unprotected ATM devices. You might be better off finding a decent job...

Australia – Hit the road!

Posted on Jan 29, 2009 in Australia Working Holiday, Working Holiday Visa |

Wondering what to do this summer? Why don’t you and your friends take your trustworthy backpacks and hop across to Australia? An Australian working holiday visa and a ticket and all that is between you and 12 months of excitement. What next? Go on and buy a rusty old camper van. You can find them for as low as 1000AUD. It will be you home for most of the time. Care for it, as it is your new mate. It will always let you stay in for the night and it will not hasitate to give you a ride to th next town. The van on the picture even has a fridge and a gas stove installed. Be sure to get yourself familiar with common regulations. Road fines are the last thing you want, while crossing the country. If you are interested to see what the top 20 road fines are, you can visit this ABC blog...

The Australian citizenship test

Posted on Jan 28, 2009 in Living Abroad |

For over 2 years now, those who want to become Australian citizens have to pass the citizenship test, by answering questions about Australia’s values and history. Currently, you can sit the test in one of the many test centres spread all over Australia. The exact locations of all test centres can be found here. According to official figures from the snapshot report, 96.3% of all who took the test passed it from the first or second attempt. The high pass rate indicates that the assistance provided to applicants is clearly helping. Applicants who take their time to go through the resource book and do a bit of homework, usually have no problem in passing the test. It is common to hear cheers coming from the testing rooms. If you would like to know more about the test, please visit the citizenship test overview...

The Internet and senior Australian citizens

Posted on Jan 12, 2009 in Uncategorized |

Last year, I’ve read about a new initiative of the Australian Government to open internet cafes for senior citizens. What are internet cafes, but a place where senior citizens can gather to discover the world of versatile communication by becoming familiar with the Internet. For young people might seem as a good initiative, but for older people sites such as “Seniors-On-Line” mean a lot more. The Australian Government provides great support by acknowledging a number of sites aiming to provide computer and Internet education, discounted computer parts and systems, as well as discounted internet access for senior citizens. If you are traveling to Australia this year, don’t get surprised if you happen to stumble into a senior cybercafe. If you happen to be in a situation where a senior citizen is about to give you advise on how to customize your firewall, you should hear what he has to say, before making a fool out of yourself...

Average Weekly Earnings in Australia

Posted on Dec 22, 2008 in Australia Working Holiday, Working Holiday Visa |

Hi there, Working Holiday Makers! In 2009  many of you will undertake a journey to Australia and spend at least one full year there. Once you are in that new place you are faced with so many challenges and decisions. What is ahead of you? Where are you going to stay? Will you find a good company to travel with?  What about a job, will you find a job with a decent salary? Well, I can’t answer most of these questions, however I can give you a rough idea of the money you might be able to earn. As you are aware you are only allowed to work to supplement your travels, but this does not mean you can’t get a good paycheck. I got the following information from the Australian Bureau Of Statistics. All information on it is free and it can be accessed by anyone, so if you are interested to know more about Australia I advise you to browse around. How much are Australians earning in 2008? Currently, Australians working full-time earn about 4,5% more than what they used to get back in August 2007. If last year you have earned $1,100 per week, this year you get $1,145. Multiply this by 4 and you will get about $180 extra per month. Now, there are a lot of people working part time, so they have to be considered when calculating all employees total earnings (full-time ordinary time, full-time in general and part-time).This figure might be more relevant to you, the Working Holiday Maker. According to the ABS the weekly earnings of an Australian citizen in August 2008 were $897.9, compared to $875.1 in 2007. This still means that the average Australian is receiving about $100 extra per month. There are several states in Australia. Which state offers the highest income? Most of you are not going to Australia to make a fortune. You are going Down Under for a number of reasons, however only a few of you are considering migration, at least at the beginning. The salary is not the most important thing for a...

Australia Standard Business Sponsorship

Posted on Dec 10, 2008 in Living Abroad |

If your second working holiday visa is running out, but you feel like spending some more time in Australia you might want to talk with your current employer. One way to remain Down Under is to have your employer sponsor you, thus helping you to stay in Australia for up to 4 years. Employer sponsored workers must remain with the same employer. You can not change employers, unless your potential employer is willing to become your sponsor as well. Eileen: Welcome to the Visa First live chat! How can I help you today? Jenn: Hi Eileen. I am an Irish backpacker on my second year WHV. I have just finished my 6 month stint working for a company. Is it possible to work more than 6 months with this company under my visa if the employer agrees to it? Just an extra 3 months say? Eileen: No Jenn, unfortunately it is a requirement of your Visa that you cannot work for one employer for more than 6 months. Your only option if you wish to stay with the employer for longer is to perhaps consider sponsorship. Jenn: That what i thought but a friend mentioned that if the employer agreed to the extension then it was OK. Yes I am considering sponsorship but it is hard to get job on the that the Australian Gov considered skilled! Eileen: What are you working at here in Australia? Jenn: I managed to get a job for a catering company ISS on one of BHP Mine sites in WA. I was only doing dining room, bar, cleaning of rooms but i don’t think they consider that as a skilled job, regardless if the Company can’t get the staff! I just finished my 6 months with them 2 weeks ago. Eileen: The skill of the job isn’t really the problem for sponsorship, if the employer is willing to sponsor you then you should be okay. Have the company offered you sponsorship? Jenn: I didn’t actually ask them if they would sponsor me as i thought it wasn’t a skilled job! They probably would...

Australian Work Related Expenses

Posted on Dec 4, 2008 in Australia Working Holiday, Working Holiday Visa |

If you intend to travel to Australia and work for a while there is a very good chance that you can get a few bucks back by filing a tax return at the end of the tax year. Many working holiday makers tend to overlook the details and do not always get the maximum possible amount back. Work-related expenses – You need to keep track of them. They might easily be refundable and the amount can be included in your tax return. If your work-related expenses are below $300 (AUD) you don’t even have to provide receipts, however you have to be able to show that the deductions are related to your income. You also have to show how you calculate the claimed amount. If your expenses exceed the $300 threshold you need to provide receipts for them. Which receipts should you keep, well – keep all of them. You never know when you might need them, and you can easily discard of them after the end of the tax year. If you like to receive a professional estimation of your Australian tax return, including all claimable expenses, take a few minutes and fill in this application...

Finding Work in Australia

Posted on Dec 3, 2008 in Australia Working Holiday, Working Holiday Visa |

Earlier today I was on the phone with one of my colleagues and I got a list of the top 20 employers/recruitment agencies our clients find job with in Australia. Working holiday makers could really use this information to do a research on available job placements. People visiting Australia on a Working Holiday visa usually work every once in a while to supplement their travels around Australia. In most occasions such job placements can be found in farming, fruit picking, working as a bartender, or a waitress. Of course, many other job placements are out there for the taking, so be sure to check out at least a few of the sites mentioned below. They might give you a good start Down Under. Geoffrey Nathan Hays Manpower Freespirit Grunt Labour JP Morgan Alliance Recruitment Barbera Packers Goodwood Rd, Bundaberg, QLD 4670 Pinnacle Bligh Appointments Blue Collar People Bluestone Personnel S.E.S.A.H.S. Career People Drake Australia Face 2 Face Recruitment Forrest Nursery Yandilla Park Horner Recruitment 24/7 Nursing Agency The Australian tax year ends on the 30th of June and this is the time when you can lodge your tax return. You will have about 4 months before the deadline – 31st of October. You will definitely need your final payslip from each employer as it contains the total amount you have earned and total tax paid. Be sure to always ask for your final payslip. In case you miss such a document, Taxback can help you recover it. The document retrieval service is quite efficient as long term relationships have been established with all employers listed above. If you have already found an employer and you feel like sharing, just write me at and I will included to the...

Page 83 of 86« First818283848586