Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Most recent articles

How do I go about claiming my New Zealand tax back?

Posted on Oct 10, 2008 in Working Holiday Visa |

After their 12 months are up, a lot of  the working holiday makers staying in New Zealand decide to jump over to Australia. Quite often you can aid your stay in Australia by claiming overpaid New Zealand taxes. Also, when you enter Australia you should have an Australian Tax File Number, in order to get a job. It is not a bad idea to get one before you go. A customer of ours fits the profile. He is already in Australia and about to go job hunting. He has several questions, to which we have answers :). Sonia: Welcome to the Visa First live chat! How can I help you today? Alan: I worked for 1 year in New Zealand. I am now in Australia – how do i go about claiming my NZ tax back ? Sonia: Hi Alan – If I can get your contact number, I can get a member of our TaxBack team to give you a call and they can advise on how to go about claiming your NZ tax back. Alan: Thanks – +61 (0)40 555 5555. One more question – I’m about to start job hunting in Oz. Do I need to visit immigration and pick up a work visa and tax number? How do I go about obtaining these? Thanks for your help. Sonia: Not a problem. What type of passport do you hold? Alan: I hold a British passport. Sonia: So you do not already hold an Australian Working Holiday Visa? Alan: Yes, I have a working visa. Would I have to go and pick up some actual paperwork and be issued with a tax number ? Sonia: When your Australian Working Holiday Visa was approved, you would have received a Visa Grant Notification (VGN) letter. This is the document you must carry with you at all times. Alan: Yes, I have a copy of that with me – what about a tax number ? Sonia: If you do not already have the visa label for the AUS WHV inside your passport, you can go into a Department of Immigration...

Australia thinks for you and your needs

Posted on Oct 9, 2008 in Uncategorized |

It is nice to know that you are travelling to a country, which is able to accommodate most of your needs, especially the basic ones. Life must have been a bit harder before the expansion of the Internet. Working holidaymakers and backpackers in general should find this useful. is a public register of toilets, located all around Australia. A government able to produce and maintain such a site is surely 100% in service to the public ;). I personally get a laugh out of the “Suggest a Toilet” page, but I see an emmerging community of conscientious...

Anti-Tourism Commercials – Australia vs. New Zealand

Posted on Oct 8, 2008 in Videos |

“In shopping mall design, the Gruen transfer refers to the moment when consumers respond to “scripted disorientation” cues in the environment. It is named for Austrian architect Victor Gruen” Wikipedia The Gruen Transfer is also a very popular show in Australia. Not long ago they gave two tourist agencies the task sell the unsellable. In a funny twist they end up making videos on invading New Zealand :). The logo at the end of the second video leaves a very odd idea in peoples minds. In order to restore balance in the universe, The Gruen Transfer released another video so New Zealand can have their pay-back :). I’ve literally “stumbled upon” these videos while playing around with the Stumble! button. It seems like none of the sides consider the videos offensive. One of the comments I came across was from a New Zealand guy, saying –  “New Zealand has a navy! Both ships are in Auckland most of the time, and the big one had no accident since 10 months – how do you like that!” It’s nice to see that people can make a laugh out a it and don’t get...

Australia – Year Out

Posted on Oct 7, 2008 in Australia Working Holiday, Videos, Working Holiday Visa |

“2190 photos in 90 seconds from a ‘working holiday’ May 2004 – May 2005″ – this is how the video is described on Youtube. These photos capture the life of a working holidaymaker. 90 seconds briefly describe 12 months in Australia. It is hard to suggest that such a video can make any sense at all. Surprisingly, I was able to figure out most of the things I was, so I hope so will you. Image how many things await you Down...

Is it too late to apply for my 2nd year visa?

Posted on Oct 6, 2008 in Australia Working Holiday, Working Holiday Visa |

Hello there, dear visitors! It’s Monday and we are ready with the next piece of advice for working holidaymakers. If you wish to apply for your second Australia working holiday visa and have only a couple of days left, it might not be too late to take action. Since the health check is no longer required, you can get your visa extension quicker than before. Karen: Welcome to the Visa First live chat! How can I help you today? Susan: Hi, how are you? I’m currently on a working holiday visa and it expires the 23rd of this month, is it too late for me to apply for my second year now so I don’t have to leave Australia. Karen: Hey Susan, I’m OK. How are you? Karen: It’s not too late for you to apply for the visa. Have you already completed the forms? Susan: No, not yet. Will I not get in trouble for been in Australia past that date before the visa is granted ? Karen: It wouldn’t be a problem. Karen: Do you want me to confirm your personal information now, complete the Employment verification form and fax it back? Susan: If i get you to confirm it, does that mean if I changed my mind not to apply it wouldn’t matter ? I’m just trying to decide in the next day or so, but not a 100 per cent yet. Karen: If you want you can just think about this another day or two and get back to us with our final decision. Susan: How much does it cost to apply and is that all that’s involved, just sending back the form, or is there other requirements ? Karen: The price is 330 AUD. There will be no additional costs involved. Susan: What about a health check ? Karen: It’s no longer required. Susan: Is that just a recent change ? Karen: It’s been for a couple of months. Susan: So just 330 in total ? I don’t have a credit card so where would I pay with cash ? Karen: Yes, we have...

Traveling to Australia with Vanvisa Mahavichai

Posted on Oct 6, 2008 in Migration News |

First time in a foreign country can prove quite challenging for most people. If you plan to stay for a while, you need to consider many factors – employment, a place to stay, social life, etc. Vanvisa, or just Visa, is a traveler. She is from Thailand, however she loves to travel and meet new people, so you can easily say she is a citizen of the world. Back in 2005 she went to Australia to take a study course and travel for a while. Visa was more than kind to share her experience in Australia , with me and all of you, by answering a few of my questions. Svet: Hey, Visa, can you name 5 things you can’t imagine your stay in Australia without? Visa: Can it be emotions, or qualities as well? I would have to say – a brave heart, patience, hope, friends, and money. Svet: How did you finance your travel to Australia? Visa: I’ve worked so long before I went to Australia. The  trip from Thailand to Australia didn’t cost that much, so I was able to afford it. You just need to plan when and how much. I like to do it when I go with friends. I take full responsibly for planning, calculating the costs, etc. Svet: Have you had any trouble finding accommodation? It can be hard to find a place to stay, if you don’t know anyone. Visa: Hmm yep, but I was lucky to meet nice people and we came to be friends, so it was OK. First, I stayed with Homestay for a month, then moved to live in the city and share accommodation with Indonesians and Thai people. Afterwords I moved to live with Korean and Japanese people. It was an enriching experience, to get to know other cultures. It was a lot of fun too. Svet: So many cultures, with their different ways… I can only imagine the things you’ve learned form your encounters. Tell me, did you have any problems with your employers in Australia? Visa: I’ve worked there only part time, so I...

Sometimes you don’t need a visa

Posted on Sep 25, 2008 in UK Working Holiday, Working Holiday Visa |

Sometimes people don’t need a visa to travel abroad. There are a number of active agreements between countries, which allow their citizens to travel freely within a certain time frame. Mike: Welcome to the visa first live chat! How can I help you today? Emma: Hi, I am traveling to England and I’m getting a UK Working Holiday visa and i was wondering if i need a multiple entry visa to countries in Europe. I am doing a Contiki Tour and then will also be traveling myself through out these countries. Mike: Australian passport holders do not need visa for the Schengen space if they intend to stay for less than 3 months. Emma: So the tour only goes 4-9 days, but we enter France more than once. Is that still alright? Mike: Yes, it is. Emma: So I only need my passport and my UK visa and I can stay in any 1 place for up to three months? Is there anywhere I can’t? Mike: Switzerland has not signed the Schengen contract and you might need a visa for that country. Emma: So I only need the UK working holiday visa, not the Schengen visa? Mike: Australian passport holders do not need visa to visit Europe. You will need the UK working holiday visa so you can work and travel across UK. Emma: So I can travel across Europe, in and out of any country, as long as I have my passport. Mike: And as long as you do not violate the 3 months condition. Emma: OK, it just says to visit 1 of the Schengen states that you need to obtain that visa, but I don’t need 1. Mike: That condition is for the citizens of the countries that are required to have a visa.  Australian citizens do not need visa if the intended stay does not exceed 3 months. Emma: OK, cool. Thank you! Mike: You are welcome! It is always best to ask a competent person or a professional, before you take any further actions. It might save you a lot of time and money....

UK Working Holiday Visa – How can Visa First help you?

Posted on Sep 12, 2008 in UK Working Holiday, Videos, Working Holiday Visa |

Obtaining a visa to the UK keeps getting harder and harder. If you like to travel around the United Kingdom and work to support your travels the UK Working Holiday visa is the right choice for you. You can hold a UK visa in your hands in just a few weeks if you get things right the first time. That’s what we do here – help you make the rights steps, so you can enjoy 12 month as a working holiadymaker in the...

Can I apply for a UK Working Holiday visa while in Italy?

Posted on Sep 10, 2008 in UK Working Holiday, Working Holiday Visa |

The chat sessions would be very valuable for you, if you intend to travel around Europe and you need to obtain several Working Holiday visas. The client below wants to travel to Italy and the UK. She is from New Zealand, and it seems that she need s to go through a lot of planning before she can take the plane to Europe ;). Manesha: Hi Louise. Louise: Hi, how are you? Manesha: You are supposed to apply for your UK working holiday visa from New Zealand. Manesha: You can try contact the British High Commission in Italy and see if they can process it from there for you. They should be able to do this but it is will be more difficult. Manesha: We can get you an Irish working holiday visa. Louise: Okay, sorry. I’ve been trying to sort this all out for some time now … Louise: So to get a UK visa I am going to have to go back to NZ to get it?? Manesha: That is the recommended procedure. The British High Commission recommends you apply from home. How long are you in Italy for? Louise: I know if I apply for an Italian visa, I have to go back to New Zealand to apply, but I was under the impression to get a UK visa I can apply from Australia. I have been living here for nearly 4 years now, but I hold a NZ passport. Manesha: NZ passport holders can apply from Australia and vice versa. Louise: Well, I was going to try get an Italian visa also. Basically I want to travel all over Europe, and work as well. Manesha: Are you currently in Australia? When are you looking to go? Louise: Yes, I‘m currently in Australia, have been here for over three years now. Louise: I‘m planning on leaving end of November … 20 Jan 2009 at the latest. Manesha: I would recommend that you get your UK visa ASAP as it can take a while to get this visa. Louise: Once I get the visa it has to...

Page 85 of 86« First818283848586