Under 21 campervan hire in Australia
A commonly asked question by young travellers taking or considering their first on road holiday trip concerns campervan hire to ‘under age drivers’ due to the varying driving laws across countries. As most countries allow young people to pass their driving test at 17 or 18 years old, it would seem logical that it would also be easy to rent car and drive abroad at this age. Unfortunately that’s not usually the case.
Even though some rental companies place a ban on some young drivers because of being more at risk, generally speaking, most rental companies will hire out to “Under 21s” if they cover all the necessary requirements. Travellers Autobarn provides a list of some the legal, road rules and campervan hire requirements to first timers under 21, so that you can make the most of your on road travel holiday in Australia.
1. We all should know the golden rule when driving in Australia: left side, right side – wrong side! In simple terms, the age-old saying of ‘stick to the left’ certainly comes in handy on the long distances around Australia.
2. Most campervan companies will offer different vehicle classes, ranging from basic beds on-the-go, to luxury homes on wheels. Campervans come in a large variety of sizes, vehicle styles and sleeping arrangements.
3. If embarking on an on-road Australian travelling adventure, you can begin checking out the smallest campervan (2 berth) which sleeps 1-2 people, through to the largest (6 berth) which sleeps up to 6 people. Most of the larger campervans as well as some of the ‘2 berths’ will include bathroom and shower facilities. And if you have a baby on board, certain vehicles are equipped with anchor points for baby seats. So, guys, before choosing a campervan hire in Australia consider the number of passengers travelling, your anticipated sleeping arrangements, and the facilities you believe that are required.
4. Once working out those requirements, your next objective is picking up your vehicle. Once this is done, you will be asked to pay a security bond. A credit card is usually required, so make sure you have enough available credit to cover the full amount.
5. Another factor with under-21 campervan hire in Australia is that you are involved in an accident, or damage is caused on your vehicle regardless of fault, you may be required to pay a liability fee. When purchasing your insurance you may be able to obtain a ‘liability reduction option’ which will reduce your liability fee. Most campervan hire companies will be able to help you choose the right option.
6. One of the reasons under-21 campervan hire in Australia has become so popular is the ease of driving the vehicle. If you have a fair amount of experience, you can adapt to the larger size, weight and height of a campervan. Nevertheless, do not forget to make use of all your defensive driving skills when behind the wheel. This means planning ahead, driving defensively and staying alert are essential to the safe handling of your campervan. When you become one of the large rigs on the asphalt, you are accountable for the well-being of the other vehicles on the road.
7. Remember, it will appear cool handling your campervan on the highway, but it’s when you turn into narrow streets, one-way roads and parking lots is when the size of your vehicle becomes apparent. Because your campervan is heavier, braking takes longer to stop than a regular sedan. Also, use your mirrors often to monitor the side and rear of your vehicle.
8. Last but not least, even highly experienced drivers need to spend some time in practicing their campervan/motorhome driving skills. Before sitting behind the wheel, plan your trip, get heaps of rest and drive carefully.
About Travellers Autobarn
Travellers Autobarn knows Australia inside out and is passionate in providing quality budget campervan hire’s for all travel enthusiasts, especially backpackers looking to take their holiday on the road.